Friday, September 12, 2008

Here We Go Again

Well, here comes Ike! It's looking like a direct hit for Galveston/Texas City. And Dad decided to stay. He says he feels safe. He's filled the bathtub and has some Gatorade and water filled for drinking. He's not worried about the winds (only about 100-120 mph, doncha know) and he's not really worried about the tide. He says that between the pumps and the levee, he thinks all will be fine.

Texas City didn't have a mandatory evacuation. Dad was telling me about the huge levees, which I had forgotten about, and they closed the floodgates at Moses Lake at low tide a few days ago so that there's more room to fill it when they start the pumps.

Funnily enough, he's already taken care of things like photo albums. He put them in the old freezer. I guess if the house gets enough water in it to float the freezer, it won't matter anyway! :-)

I've been really worried all day, but after talking with him this afternoon, I feel a lot better. He reminded me about the levees and all that, so I'm feeling much more at peace. I'm just keeping him in my prayers and hoping the the tree doesn't fall on the house and the levees keep most of the surge back. And I'll try to stay busy tonight and tomorrow.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Thank, Amy Anne. Dad thinks the levees that surround TC will hold. I think they'll hold, but will the surge be higher than the levees? If he gets water, I just hope it's not too much. Thanks for keeping him in your prayers. There are a whole lot of people praying for him tonight.