Saturday, November 1, 2008

I Love My Job(s)

I decided just this morning that I really do love all my jobs. I'm a wife, a mom and a teacher. Now, don't get me wrong--there are parts of my jobs that I truly dislike. Mopping floors--not my favorite thing the world, although with the swiffer wet jet--it's not nearly as bad. Children backtalking or rolling their eyes at me--grrrrrr! But as I was sitting in the quiet family room this morning, all by myself, watching the room get lighter as the sun came up, I realized that I really do love my jobs. And my life. I have been abundantly blessed.

Job #1 - wife: I love going to breakfast with my husband. Sitting together and talking about everything in the world over French toast--what could be more fun? (Well, there are other fun things, but this is a PG blog!) Watching him make a wooden outline of our front porch so he could attach Halloween lights and other scary objects without damaging the brick. Wow! I stood in awe of his manliness. ;-) And...he can do math! He fixes just about anything that needs fixing. He installed the most important item in the home--the over-the-range microwave. He builds things, he carves pumpkins, he helps with homework, and HE COOKS! What else could a girl ask for?

Job #2 - mom: I have to post carefully about this one because one of my boys has been on a bit of a rampage this week. But man, I love my boys. Each of them is amazing and wonderful in his own right. I actually cooked dinner the other night (shocking, I know!) and it felt so good to sit down with my boys and just talk. I love watching them grow--as much as I'd love for them to be babies forever to keep the evil things away from them, it's wonderful to see them becoming independent. I love listening to them play together--until they start fighting. Well, they are boys. Here--at 8:00 on a Saturday morning--Chris is asleep (of course!), James has been up for hours and is on the computer, and John is on the couch doing math in an old math workbook. (His dad will be so proud!) Great way to start a Satuday.

Job #3 - teacher: It has it's days. And the paperwork and red tape and the whole "we must be exemplary," TAKS-testing world that is education in Texas is rather bothersome for a music teacher. But it really hit home to me last night. Halloween night. Trick-or-treating with my boys and friends. Suddenly there are little yells (not of my own group of children) and I feel arms around me that don't belong to my children. My students. You see...I teach elementary music and so I teach every. single. child. in. the. school. So, a little trio of princesses was so excited to see me out in the neighborhood. Hugs all around. Then more students and former students around the neighborhood. "Hey! Mrs. M!" "That was Mrs. M!" Their eyes light up (most of them--there was one former student with an attitude who quickly slunk off when he saw me--hmmm) and they smile. How can you not enjoy that?

So...I love my jobs. And when things get tough--which they will--probably later today--I'll return to this post and remind myself that I do love my jobs. I am truly blessed.

1 comment:

{amy} said...

I love when kids recognize you outside of school like that! {for me just from working in the classroom}. Cute!