I loved it! Really! I've read reviews that said they liked the stage version better. I liked the movie better because I could afford to see the actors' faces and see their emotions, not just hear them in their singing. And that was a good thing because otherwise Russell Crowe would've really, REALLY sucked. As it was, he was the weak link singing-wise, but his acting chops are impeccable. I thought he showed Javert's personal struggle between justice and mercy very, very well. I just wish that he had been able to translate that into the ending of Stars especially.
Anne Hathaway was AMAZING! Seriously. I really loved her version of I Dreamed a Dream. Hugh Jackman got a bit nasal at times and there are better renditions of Bring Him Home, but again, his acting chops helped cover for that. The rest of the cast did a phenomenal job. I really enjoyed Marius and Cosette. The Thenardiers were fabulous, although Madame Thenardier's laugh sounded exactly like Bellatrix Lestrange's. Go figure.
I haven't cried in a movie in a long time. I cried at the end. A lot. And it's not like I didn't know the story. I knew what was going to happen. Read the book, seen the stage version. I think it was Val Jean taking the bishop's hand. That's what started it. Recognizing who played the bishop just warmed my heart. Colm Wilkinson - the original Jean Val Jean. A perfect nod to the stage.
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. And...it helped to snap me out of my two-day funk I'll write more about that later.
If you haven't seen it, go see it. It's a visual feast, beautiful music, great story. I hope to go again before school starts.
No comments:
Post a Comment